April 28, 2011. Four Texas children were taken to the hospital after accidentally ingesting dietary supplements instead of the over the counter dietary supplements their parents thought they had purchased.
This prompted a recall by Multi-Mex Distributor, Inc. The packaging used to sell the dietary supplements closely resembled that of over the counter antibiotics sold in Mexico which led to some confusion by consumers regarding what they were purchasing. The products were delivered to retail stores and distributors in the following states: Georgia, Tennessee, California, Illinois, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Colorado, and Indianapolis.
The four children whose parents accidentally gave them the supplements developed further illness, not because of the supplements themselves but because they needed the antibiotics they thought they had. It is implied that the packaging intentionally looked like familiar Mexican antibiotic packaging and was marketed at Hispanic buyers.